Thursday, November 4, 2010

Anticipation

I love taking road trips.  Hours of driving and daydreaming are some of the best wastes of time I have ever found.  My daughter, my brother's fiance' & I are going to drive 12 hours to Connecticut for a 24 hour visit before coming back.  A lot of people will think this is a horrible waste of time and energy for such a short stay.  I disagree.  The privilege of seeing new places is something I enjoy.  While I make this trip, I will be making mental notes of places that I will want to stop when I make a more leisurely journey in the Spring. 

The one difficulty I encounter, when planning such a trip, is my own excitement.  I will get so wound up by the preparation that I lose some sleep.  I run around a lot and wear myself out.  As a result, I tend to start the trip already tired.  Unfortunately, I tend to yell at people and say unkind things when I am tired.  As, in prepping for this trip, I noticed this issue, and subsequently becoming mindful of it, I think I have managed to minimize the negative effect that it has had in the past.  I have been making myself rest.  I have been yelling at co-workers who are not going on the trip with me.

As of this point, I have not packed anything, but all of my clothes are washed.  Most of the food for the trip is bought.  All I need to grab is bread, mustard, mayonnaise, Mountain Dew and Red Bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment